Consecration breaks the power of sin over your life, sin then becomes a decision, a choice you’ve made.
Friday, January 15, 2010
“Cravings: Conflict With Consecration”
Pastor George M. Matthews, II
A. Consecration is to set aside a natural thing for holy purposes and usages.
B. Holiness is our distinction to God.
C. There is a recompense for a consecrated life:
– St. Luke 5:1-6 1And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret, 2And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets. 3And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon’s, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship. 4Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught. 5And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. 6And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
1. God inhabits what is available and consecrated to Him (verses 2 – 3).
2. God will come into your life when you release your life to Him; when you are no longer in control of you (trying to control your ship).
3. God will recompense (pay you back) for the trouble, inconvenience of your consecration to the Him.
4. On your own, the best you can do is toil. Supernatural power comes to a consecrated life (verses 5 – 6).
5. The Lord can give you more than what you can see when you set aside your life for His usage.
I. CRAVINGS CONFLICT WITH CONSECRATION
A. Romans 7:14-15 (KJV & The Amplified Bible) 14For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
– The Amplified Bible 14We know that the Law is spiritual; but I am a creature of the flesh [carnal, unspiritual], having been sold into slavery under [the control of] sin. 15For I do not understand my own actions [I am baffled, bewildered]. I do not practice or accomplish what I wish, but I do the very thing that I loathe [[a]which my moral instinct condemns].
1. Living out a born again experience in a carnal fleshy body is problematic because the nature of the flesh is to sin.
2. Consecration breaks the power of sin over your life. Sin then becomes a decision.
3. The flesh is craving to have its way in verse 15.
B. Craving…a strong desire, a strong bend towards a thing, a pull.
C. Four Types of Cravings
a. Some people are consumed with being popular, famous or being seen by others.
b. They sometime will destroy a leader to become a leader.
c. They will drink, use drugs and argue for attention.
d. God will allow you to go through quiet obscure periods to develop your character; Satan will dangle cravings for attention before you to entice you to forfeit your consecration.
a. This addiction can be for pornography, alcohol, drugs, tobacco and gambling.
a. This craving can be for food, control, things and even status.
b. When craving things or status, you must understand to everything there is a season and time.
c. In other words, God has your name on a calendar date. You may go through some things before you get to that date.
d. Joshua reached that date after the death of Moses.
a. Craving money and material possessions can lead to problems.
– I Timothy 6:9-10 9But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
(c) 2010 George Matthews Ministries. All Rights Reserved.