MIDWEEK BIBLE STUDIES
Wednesday in the Word
November 9, 2011
Doers of the Word
(The Word Spoken to the Heart Alone is not Enough)
- The process of God requires both hearing the Word and doing the Word.
- Hearing the Word without processing or digesting it (like eating food) will not profit you.
- Mixing faith with the Word heard (and the notes taken) is the key to obtaining results.
- Hearing the Word without doing the Word causes spiritual inactivity in your life. In other words, you will never see the manifestation of the promises of God.
- Hebrews 4:1-2
- Fear in the context of verse 1 is reverential fear – respecting God’s order or system.
- You will come short of the promises of God if you are a hearer of the Word only. (Scripture reference – II Peter 3:9)
- The rest of God is a place of manifestation.
- The Gospel is the reporting of good news.
- The “them” (those that do not mix faith with the Word) fall short of the promises.
- The promises of God are just as sure as the blood covenant God made with Abraham.
- In Numbers 13, God had “rest” prepared for the children of Israel. However, only two (Joshua and Caleb) of the 12 spies Moses sent into the Promised Land believed God (mixed faith with what they saw), yet all were penalized because of their unbelief.
- James 1:22 (KJV & NET)
- The word of God speaks. We must become doers of the voice of the Word we hear.
- Faith is a process not an event. The key to the process is doing what the voice of the Word is saying to you.
- The giving of offerings is an exercise in hearing and doing.
- There is a level of deception that comes when you are a hearer of the Word only.
- I Kings 17:8-10, 13-15
- Hearing the Word only, without doing, can result in a drought [lack and deficiency] or even death (not necessarily physical) in your life.
- Elijah had to be a doer of the word of God. (verse 10)
- The widow also had to be a doer of Elijah’s words to see her miracle. (verse 15)
- God had already made arrangements to sustained Elijah whether the widow woman obeyed or not.
- Doing the word of God from the mouth of your prophet entitles you to the blessing of God. (Scripture references – Philippians 4:19; St. Mark 9)
© 2011 George Matthews Ministries