Tassels speak of our consecration to the Lord; who we are supposed to be.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
“The Purpose of Tassels”
Pastor George M. Matthews, II
A. Numbers 15:38 – 4138Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue: 39And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them ; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring: 40That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God. 41I am the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the LORD your God.
The Relevance of Tassels
1. Tassels are also referred to as fringes, borders, or ribband of blue.
2. Tassels, worn on everyday clothing, served as a reminder to the children of Israel not to seek after the sight of their own eyes; not to seek other gods.
3. This consecration, like the tassels, is calling us back to a place of remembrance; helping us to reconnect to God.
4. Relevance for us today: What if our garments identified who we are, identified to others we are holy unto God; set us apart as if we were wearing clergy attire.
5. In other words, tassels speak of our consecration to the Lord; who we are supposed to be.
Creating the Ribband of Blue
1. The blue dye in the ribband is called tekeleth
2. Tekeleth is a purple bluish color that comes from murex snails found in the Mediterranean Sea.
3. When crushed, these snails would give off a yellow fluid and the yellow fluid would turn reddish blue or purple in color.
4. Thousands of snails had to die to color a garment. In other words, the murex snail death in the Old Testament serves a type of Jesus Christ death in the New Testament, dying our lives a different color – seeing a difference in our lives after accepting Jesus Christ as Lord.
Tassels Serve as a Daily Reminder of Several Important Truths
A. We are pilgrims in a Satan-ruled system
(As pilgrims here in the earth at this time, we should be a little strange, out of the ordinary, we should not fit so readily into every worldly thing because we have been dyed in the blood of Jesus)
1. Colossians 3:1-2 1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
a. Because we are consecrated, we set our affections on things above.
2. Philippians 3:20 20For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
a. Conversation here is lifestyle; our lifestyle is that of heaven.
3. II Peter 3:10 – 13 10But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
a. Because we have been dyed a different color, we spend our time seeking after eternal things.
b. Our lives reflect we have a different King and a different Kingdom.
B. We are a peculiar people
(As a peculiar people, this consecration should remind us we are people of faith. Peculiar gives an idea of holiness or what consecrated lives reflect. The word holy, consecrated or peculiar is synonymous with distinction)
1. God call holiness distinction. Holiness is the believer living a distinct consecrated life; separated for God’s use.
2. Peculiar defined…distinction, distinct, discreet (discretionary conduct), different, unlike, defined, extraordinary (not in the dress, makeup or fashion alone)
a. I Peter 2:9 9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;
1. Blue is supposed to be the color of royalty; we must understand the class we are in and conduct ourselves accordingly.
b. Titus 2:14 14Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
c. Romans 12:2 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
3. Satan-ruled system is against God’s system
a. St. John 17:14 14I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
b. St. John 18:36 36Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
c. I John 3:11Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
d. I John 5:44For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
e. I John 5:19 19And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
Balance to message…
We are in the world and God expects us to enjoy and experience the benefits of it, but when the world’s system contradicts your views and beliefs, you remain distinct by allowing your light to penetrate darkness.
(c) 2010 George Matthews Ministries. All Rights Reserved.