We are His tent, temple, and tabernacle. God needs a consecrated life to be present in the Earth.
Friday, January 8, 2010
“The Purpose of Tassels” II
Pastor George M. Matthews, II
A. Numbers 15:38 – 4138Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue: 39And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them ; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring: 40That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God. 41I am the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the LORD your God.
Tassels Serve as a Daily Reminder of Several Important Truths
1. We are pilgrims in a Satan-ruled system
a. Colossians 3:1-2 1If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
b. Philippians 3:20 20For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
c. II Peter 3:10 – 13 10But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
2. We are a peculiar people
(As a peculiar people, this consecration should remind us we are people of faith. Peculiar gives an idea of holiness or what consecrated lives should reflect. The word holy, consecrated or peculiar is synonymous with distinction)
a. God call holiness distinction. Holiness is the believer living a distinct consecrated life; separated for God’s use.
b. Peculiar defined…distinction, distinct, discreet (discretionary conduct), different, unlike, defined, extraordinary (not in the dress, makeup or fashion alone)
1. I Peter 2:9 9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;
2. Titus 2:14 14Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
3. Romans 12:2 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
c. We are no longer in the world
1. St. John 17:14 14I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
2. St. John 18:36 36Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
3. I John 3:11Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
4. I John 5:44For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
5. I John 5:19 19And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness.
3. The blue should remind us of our position – we are children of God
– The color blue of these tassels that our lives represent and what was an outside job signified by the tassels now the Holy Spirit does inside.
4. The tassels are to remind us we are the temple of God
(We are His tent, temple and tabernacle. God needs a consecrated life to be present in the earth)
– I Corinthians 3: 16 – 17 16Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 17If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
– I Corinthians 6:19 19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
– II Peter 1:13- 14 13Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance; 14Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.
(c) 2010 George Matthews Ministries. All Rights Reserved.