Until you understand grace you can never reign in life.
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Grace for God’s Best III
(Access Provides Opportunity – but it is not automatic)
Pastor George M. Matthews, II
*Examples of supernatural feats in the Bible where the grace of God is demonstrated
-Romans 15:44For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
1. The crossing of the Red Sea by the children of Israel
2. David triumphs over Goliath
3. The miracle of the two fish and five loaves feeding 5000+
4. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego graced in the fiery furnace
FOUNDATIONAL TEXTS & APPLICATIONS
A. St. John 1:17 (KJV & The Amplified Bible) 17For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
-The Amplified Bible 17For while the Law was given through Moses, grace ([a]unearned, undeserved favor and spiritual blessing) and truth came through Jesus Christ.
1. The ministry of Jesus is the ministry of grace.
B. Ephesians 3:20 (KJV & The Amplified Bible) 20Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
The Amplified Bible 20Now to Him Who, by (in consequence of) the [action of His] power that is at work within us, is able to [carry out His purpose and] do superabundantly, far over and above all that we [dare] ask or think [infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, hopes, or dreams]—
1. Grace introduces you to a state in life whereby you are able to experience God’s best.
C. Romans 5:1-2 (KJV & The Amplified Bible) 1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
-The Amplified Bible 1THEREFORE, SINCE we are justified ([a]acquitted, declared righteous, and given a right standing with God) through faith, let us [grasp the fact that we] have [the peace of reconciliation to hold and to [b]enjoy] peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One). 2Through Him also we have [our] access (entrance, introduction) by faith into this grace (state of God’s favor) in which we [firmly and safely] stand. And let us rejoice and exult in our hope of experiencing and enjoying the glory of God.
1. Understanding faith is a requirement necessary for grace to abound.
2. We take a position as believers that what God has intended for our lives we will accomplish by His grace (verse 2).
3. WHY ACCESS IS NEEDED – Genesis 3:23 -24 23Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 24So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
a. Man was closed from a speaking system that would give him dominion over the entire planet – Genesis 1:26-28.
b. Grace gives us access into God’s ability atop of our ability.
4. GRACE REQUIRES YOUR OBEDIENCE – Your obedience gives God the permission to work.
D. II Peter 1:1-21Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: 2Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
1. You need grace equal to your task or assignment in life – I Corinthians 3:10, The Amplified Bible 10According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
2. Grace is multiplied by my knowledge of God which comes through His Word.
E. II Corinthians 12:9 9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
I. THE GRACE OF GOD IS ACCESSED BY FAITH
A. Faith is released by the words of your mouth
1. A confession is faith’s way of expressing itself.
2. Faith is that which transforms conditions, circumstances and situations in your life.
II. WE HAVE ACCESS NOW
-Romans 5:17 (KJV & The Amplified Bible) 17For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
The Amplified Bible 17For if because of one man’s trespass (lapse, offense) death reigned through that one, much more surely will those who receive [God’s] overflowing grace (unmerited favor) and the free gift of righteousness [putting them into right standing with Himself] reign as kings in life through the one Man Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).
A. Either death will reign or the believer will reign.
1. Until you understand grace you can never reign in life.
2. By grace, the believer is to be in charge.
B. The abundance of grace
1. Understanding the abundance of grace is to understand that God gives freely to us that which we need to overcome life’s battles.
2. Access places you in a position to receive grace; actions are required to enter in. In other words, access is the door to God’s system of grace.
– II Corinthians 9:8-10 8And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: 9(As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever. 10Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;)
1. Supporting or giving to every good work in the Kingdom of God (verse 8).
2. As you sow into ministry, God will multiply your seed sown (verse 10).
III. FRUSTRATING THE GRACE OF GOD
Galatians 2:21 21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
A. Four types of people to avoid frustrating the grace of God on your life.
1. Those who do not accept your assignment or commitment to God.
a. These people are characterized by a lack prayer, fasting and the studying of the Word. They look at your outward appearance – I Samuel 16:9.
2. Those that have little respect for your assignment or commitment to God.
a. They will go through no inconvenience or discomforts to support you.
b. Never give audience to those that do not respect your commitment or assignment.
3. Those that will not protect your assignment or commitment.
a. David protected Saul
4. Those who do not expect you to fulfill your life’s assignment.
(c) 2010 George Matthews Ministries. All Rights Reserved.