MIDWEEK BIBLE STUDIES
Faith for Completing Your Life’s Assignment
Tuesday in the Truth
May 18, 2010
Obedience and Disobedience I
(Naaman & Gehazi)
A. Jeremiah 1:5-10
B. Acts 10:34
C. St. Mark 11:12-14, 20-23
• Supportive Texts
a. I Thessalonians 5:23
b. Hebrews 12:9
c. Isaiah 46:9-10
d. Romans 10:17
e. Hebrews 11:1
I. What is Faith?
A. Definitions of faith…
1. Faith is the word of God.
2. Faith is that which is not perceived by the senses.
3. Usage of the Word is coming into agreement with God about the order of a thing (what God has already done in the spiritual realm).
B. How Faith Works
1. The word of God is alive. (Hebrews 4:12)
a. Quick is to make alive.
b. When you speak the word of God to dead things, it causes the dead things to come alive.
c. God speaks His living word to Abram’s situation to bring it alive. In other words, the word makes something out of nothing. (Romans 4:17, KJV & The Message Bible)
2. The word of God, if properly positioned, causes the believer to prosper while in the earth. (II Timothy 3:16-17)
3. God wants us to know how the system of faith works. (Romans 1:17)
4. If the Word is to produce in your life, it must dwell in you richly. (Colossians 3:16)
a. To let means to allow; what one can or cannot allow.
b. Scriptural example of allowing the Word to dwell richly in you:
1. Proverbs 2:1-5
a. If the word of God is dwelling in you richly, you do not agree with the seen circumstances. You make excuses when you agree with the circumstances.
b. To understand is to see things as God sees. (verse 5)
2. Proverbs 2:2, The Amplified Bible
a. Inclining is straining to hear. To hear from God requires effort – effort to not agree with your 5 physical senses.
b. You use the word of God to override what you see.
5. The Word will produce life and health. (Proverbs 4:20-24)
a. Life and health will be produced to the degree you incline, find or discover the Word.
b. Once the Word is dwelling in you richly, you must guard and keep your heart.
c. A deceitful tongue contradicts faith. In other words, your faith will not produce if you are not speaking the goodness of God.
II. Contrasting Obedience and Disobedience
A. II Kings 5:1 1Now Naaman, captain of the host of the king of Syria, was a great man with his master, and honourable, because by him the LORD had given deliverance unto Syria: he was also a mighty man in valour, but he was a leper.
1. Because of Naaman’s obedience, he receives a breakthrough; because of Gehazi’s disobedience he receives a curse.
• Additional Scripture References
1. Hebrews 4:12
2. Romans 4:17, KJV & The Message Bible
3. II Timothy 3:16-17
4. Romans 1:17
5. Colossians 3:16
6. Proverbs 2:1-5, KJV & The Amplified Bible
7. Proverbs 4:20-24
8. II Kings 5:1
(c)2010 George Matthews Ministries. All Rights Reserved.