What’s in a man’s heart soon affects his thoughts. We must have a renewed mind to gain control over our thought life.
Biblical Psychology II Session II September 22, 2009 @ 6:30 pm
(The Renewed Mind)
A. I Corinthians 3:18-23 18Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. 19For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. 20And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain. 21Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are your’s; 22Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are your’s; 23And ye are Christ’s; and Christ is God’s.
1. We cannot change until we have a mental change (switch pictures in your mind).
B. Philippians 2: 5-7 5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
1. Jesus understood that in the earth He was who God is in heaven.
2. God wants us to have the mentality we are little gods – Psalm 82; St. Matthew 10:34
I. The Renewed Mind
A. We must have a renewed mind to gain control over our thought life.
– Romans 12:1-2 1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
B. We look beyond the physical to the Word of God to realize the tricks of the enemy.
– Colossians 1:16 16For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
a. God created two realms (rooms): the natural room and the spiritual room.
b. The enemy wants the believer to live in the natural room; the believer must have a renewed mind to live in the spiritual or heavenly room. Invisible things are spiritual.
c. ‘All things are mine’ in the spiritual room and will manifest itself in the natural room the more you renew your mind.
d. God is not mysterious but predictable.
C. God has a better way that is higher than the world’s system
– Isaiah 55:7-9 7Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. 8For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
II. We Must Know how we are Made
A. Man is a three part being (I Thessalonians 5:23) – body, spirit and soul.
B. The body performs through five physical senses.
C. The spirit has five characteristics – faith, hope, prayer, praise and worship
D. The soul has five characteristics – mind, will, imagination, emotion and intellect.
1. To move out of the natural room to the spiritual room, you must retrain (let the Word of God hijack) your soul (let the Word of God be the final authority).
2. II Corinthians 4:16 16For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.
3. I Peter 3:4 4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
III. Why Renew the Mind?
A. Proverbs 23:7 7For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
1. What I think determines how I make decisions.
2. I am a product of the decisions I’ve made in the past.
3. When you allow others to make decisions for you, it’s the same as making passive decisions.
B. It’s what in a man’s heart that affects his thoughts.
C. What I think is soon going to come out of my mouth.
– St. Matthew 12:34 34O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
1. The mouth is the locater of the heart.
2. God cannot make transfers until the heart is totally convinced.
3. When your spirit is empty, you cannot make withdrawals with your mouth.
4. What you speak will affect what you have in your life (Proverbs 18:21).